Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Rockin it from 2012


I realize that we are already several weeks into 2013 but I still feel like 2012 wasn’t so long ago right? I did not do a post on my reflections and best events from 2012 because, well I felt like they were pretty obvious, had a baby etc.  I know ho hum right? Well I did want to share some of my fond 2012 memories, more specifically, my top 10 favorite tunes that got me through such a monumental year in hopes of inspiring or scaring some of you away from here forever. (She listens to whaaaat?)

I should probably give a brief overview of the evolution of my musical existence. I suppose if you want to start early, like really early, I was a fan of your typical kiddie movie music, Care Bears and any Disney movie topped my list of music must haves. By the time middle school came around I was very much into Motown. My dad got me a mix tape (I know totally just dated myself) with a bunch of great Motown artist such as: the Temptations, Gladys Knight, and the Supremes. A solid music foundation I should say.

Then by the beginning of high school, the 90s alternative music was in.  The first cd I ever owned…Hootie and the Blowfish … yeah you didn’t see that one coming, but even to this day I still love it. Then I went through the boy band phase, most notably Hanson. By sophomore year I found myself in a little bit of a tougher group in school and I started listening exclusively to gansta rap/ hip hop. Ask me to do my Bone Thugz in Harmony rapping, yeah I was a pro.

It was pretty much a hip hop only musical palate for me until I hit college, during the infamous run of Napster. My roommate was also a musician, so this opened up a whole new world of different kinds of music; everything from System of a Down to John Mayor to George Clinton and the Funk to Nelly Furtado. The last stop on my musical journey; working in retail. After working in retail for 7 years at a store that prides itself on playing trendy music, I got hooked on all things indie. Throw in a newfound love affair with country music (yeah I know) and that’s pretty much where I am today.  Somewhere between country, bluesy, and indie funk. Ok wow I guess that was a little long winded.

So now that you understand where I have come from, here is where I am. My top 10 most inspiring songs of 2012 (in no particular order) and what they meant for me:

1. Ho Hey -Lumineers
Let me just say I was into this song before it got popular. I first heard it while I was pregnant and I was sometimes uncomfortable (yes being pregnant for me was hard, couldn't sleep/ get around well) but it helped me remember the precious gift I was working to create. We belong together and I love it.

2. Paradise – Coldplay
This song came out while I was still pregnant and I could not help but sing the song to Emma. It is a great song to prepare you for life and all of the challenges to come and I was grateful for opportunity to get to share such a great song with her. Thanks Coldplay J

3. Crazy Girl – Eli Young Band  
Yes this song is 100% country no getting around it, but there is something sweet and powerful about it that grabs me. It also came in really handy one time when Emma was crying her eyes out for seemingly no reason. I danced and sang this song to her and it calmed her down. My crazy girl. 

4. Springsteen – Eric Church
Another country song, this is different from any other song I have ever heard. The mix of piano and his voice are just magic to me. It was also the song I would listen to a lot while dropping Emma off at daycare in the very beginning so whenever I hear it now, I get a bittersweet feeing of letting go.

5. Helena Beat – Foster the People
Hate to say it since the song is about drug use, but man it’s got such a happy toe -tapping beat. This was my number one song to fold laundry to. 

6. Gold on the Ceiling – Black Keys
This song is obviously a great piece of work. The Black Keys are an awesome band in their own right, the Stones of our generation dare I say. Once again, there was a day when Emma wasn’t too happy. We put this on and my husband and I danced around like total goofs. She was smiling and laughing in no time. Even kids know good music when they hear it.

7. Shake it Out- Florence and the Machine
Amazing piece of music and a great song to get you motivated to do anything, we’re talking even being happy to eat your veggies

8. Some Nights – Fun
Another band I was into before they got big, but this song is another get up and move song. It’s also a self -discovery song, which fit in for me in 2012 as I was working on figuring out who I was as a mother and what I felt was important for my child.

9. Tornado – Little Big Town 
Spunky and empowering … my inner bad ass loves it!

10. Meet Me on the Equinox – Death Cab for Cutie
Ok I know this song is not from 2012 but it was the year I discovered Death Cab for Cutie and my ears will never be the same! This song somehow brought me comfort during my unsure times.  If I needed an emo moment this was my go to song.

It's truly amazing to me how music stays with you and a song can capture a moment and allow you to relive it over and over again. Through these songs I get to relive my 2012, the year I became a mom. I guess I always thought that once you have a kid you are doomed to Barney and The Wiggles for years to come, so I am glad to get a moment to reflect on music I love that for the most part, I can enjoy with my child, cause who says mom’s and kids can’t rock? 

What was your jam from 2012? Any songs you shared with your littles? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!