Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Evolution of Our Talents and Desires




This week and last have definitely been high stress. Several major events took place which is why I have taken a short blogging hiatus. Going through back to back days of intense situations coupled with a night of absolutely no sleep left me feeling pretty out of it. I had a medical scare (that has still not been completely resolved) which could have led me to need to get surgery but thankfully, I got a pass at the doctor’s office and in a month I will get the 100% all clear if all goes well.

The other important event was…I had a job interview, actually two. I was invited back today for a second interview for the same job! If you have been keeping up with my little blog here you will know my family’s need to get into a safer neighborhood and my need to develop my career. I received an amazing opportunity that in all honesty may or may not pan out (although I hope it does.)There is nothing wrong with where I am now. I love the commute and the fact that Emma is in the building with me, but professionally I am entering that awkward stage like a relative that has been hanging around too long. 

I am excited for all of the possibilities but this brings me back again to the guilt. My commute will be longer and I will eventually have to move Emma to another daycare. All of this was in the "grand plan" which is still exciting, change is good, but I can't help but be apprehensive about everything potentially to come. I know as a family we will get through it and I know I am working not only to provide for my family, but to also be a role model for Emma.  I have been doing a lot of thinking about my career lately and how I got to where I am and I couldn’t help but think back to my earliest career aspirations and how I evolved into who I am as a professional today. This brought me to Emma and what career she will end up with. She has so many interests as her personality blossoms that I can't help but wonder who she will turn out to be, so I came up with a short list of the top five career paths I think she might take (of course this is a light hearted list. I will be pleased with anything she does as long as she is happy and can eventually support herself.) 

1. Vet
With four dogs, this is at the top of the list. She loves her dogs and even pants like them when she gets excited. She is an animal lover so I think this is a a strong contender. 



2. Gymnast 
I have recently been researching different tiny tumbler classes in our area. She is already crawling up stairs and she pretty much started to do a head stand the other day. If I sit on the floor she will climb all over me and she has already started scaling the couch, so if not gymnast, maybe a professional tree climber. 



3. Public Speaker
This girl loooves to talk and sometimes loudly scream :-) She says hi to everyone when we are out and has already developed captivating hand gestures. I see some rousing debates in her future, hopefully not all with me. 



4. Librarian 
(or professor)
Emma loves to read. Her new favorite thing to do is go to her toy box and pull out every single book and bring it over and sit while you read each of them. Her current favorite book? A doggie book of course.



5. Engineer
She has a curiosity and a passion for how things work. She takes her time to pull things apart, to look beyond the face value of an object, to find its working parts. 



Do I expect her to really become any of these things? No, but I don't discount any of them either. After all I have come a long way from my early days when I desperately wanted to become a paleontologist. Her passions and interests will change over time and that is ok. It's exciting to be on the journey to discovering what you love. I am nearing the completion of my journey, for now, and hope to land where my heart has been all along. 

I am glad to be back and I promise to finally post part four of the story of us as well as our home makeover. Happy week wishes to all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!