Monday, July 15, 2013

Little Red Chair







Little Red Chair
It sits in the corner all neat and snug
Until a little girl comes to give it some love
The shiny hard plastic comes bursting to life
When her tiny wandering hands go flying by
She moves it and turns it and positions it just right
She shares it with her friends. It brings much delight
She lounges and mingles
Kicks her feet and giggles
It’s amazing what comes to life
When an adventuresome baby comes waddling by.

A Furry Friend
Bear oh Bear, dear furry friend
I hug you and kiss you and cuddle you again
I lay you down to sleep
I pick you up to eat
We wander for hours
With you my imagination has no end.



Just two silly little poems about Emma’s two favorite things, her red chair and her pooh bear. Now to be clear, I did mention her love affair with pooh a few months back, but let me tell you the relationship there has grown tremendously since. But let me start first with the chair, or rather with the first chair. You see this little red gem is the third chair in a long line of chair trials. Yes, my kid is Goldie Locks and this third little chair seems to have hit the mark. We started out with a rocking chair from my childhood. It is still in her room but it is too high up for her and her lack of self-awareness leaves her feet in a dangerous position when near the rocking part of the chair. I find myself constantly watching to make sure she doesn’t rock over her little piggies. So, we then moved on to what I thought would be a safer, stationary chair. My husband’s childhood chair (yes both of our moms are nostalgic pack rats but we love it!) Emma had a grand old time climbing up and proudly sitting upon the chair. For some reason she gets so excited when she is sitting in a chair, like this is her one true connection with the adult world in her eyes. 

In the far right corner you can see the rocking chair, the only picture I had of it on my phone at the time. 

Daddy's blue chair. Great for jumping off of. (not so much)

 


This chairful bliss did not last long however, she soon realized (and by soon I mean after 5 minutes of sitting) that she could STAND on this chair and jump about. I attempted to resolve this problem several times by simply instructing her not to stand on the chair, but any mother of a toddler knows that a patient explanation ain’t going to cut it (and by ain’t going to cut it, read: child ignores me and then throws a tantrum when taken off said chair). So daddy’s chair has disappeared for now. 

My next thought was to get her one of those soft comfy chairs. I thought that might be a safer choice, but let me tell you, those suckers run upwards of $50-$100 for the nice ones (sorry we ain’t –yeah I’m using ain’t again- pottery barn kids chic around here). The more affordable ones are about $20, but seeing as how her birthday was a little over a month ago I did not feel like I could justify a purchase like that (yeah even $20). Fast forward to our trip to Kmart on Saturday morning (once again, I live in the ghetto so there are Kmarts, not Walmarts). I had to pick up a few things and we were strolling around…and low and behold…there it was…the little red chair. It was short enough for her, the seat was rounded making it nearly impossible to stand on and it was affordable, $8! I knew the quality was not superb but I figured to fulfill my daughter’s need to have a place to sit, I could swing it. 

Her red throne! 









Well, she LOVES it! She sits in it and swings her feet and shares it with her stuffed animals. It’s the cutest thing…which leads me back to Pooh Bear. Pooh Bear lives in Emma’s room (for now) and every night when we go into her room she finds him and cuddles with him. Lately, she has been hugging him and then laying him down on top of this puzzle base, like it’s his little bed. It makes me melt inside when I see her already starting to use her imagination! My fear though…this is getting dangerously close to playing house…which gets dangerously close to having a little girl that enjoys stereotypical little girl things. I am not too worried at the moment, since my plan is to make sure we keep lots of blocks and trucks around for her to play with, but still I am concerned. For now, if Pooh Bear and her little red chair are what make her happy then I shall oblige, as long as she remembers to give mommy a hug once in a while too. 
 

2 comments:

  1. Doug nurtures his stuffed animals too. I think it's a form of play most kids develop because they're mimicking the adults around them. I always feel very flattered by the way Doug lavishes love and attention on them, because he learned that from us. I have no idea why he plays with tea sets though, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you guys subconsciously overly use cups? Maybe keeping hydrated is a common theme of a show he likes to watch?

      As for the stuffed animal play, I LOVE it! It really is sweet seeing her care for her critters.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you!