Friday, April 18, 2014

A Dog and Her Girls: Bella's Story

   

I really don't talk about it enough but I'm not just a mom to a spirited human toddler, I am also a mom to 4 amazing dogs. I've written a separate post on Stanley and I have written about all 4 dogs but I wanted to take a minute to tell Bella's story. She has been an amazing part of my life for 7 years now! 7 years and yet it seems like not very many at all. So in honor of Bella's birthday this month here is her story:

Back in early 2007, I moved across the country to pursue a dream and live out new life experiences. I packed my bags and moved Los Angles never having been there before and only knowing 2 people. It was very therapeutic for me to get out on my own but very lonely at the same time.

Now let’s flashback to my youth (insert flowy flashback haze here.) For as long as I can remember, I wanted a dog. It seems like right around the late 80s/ early 90s, there were a bunch of dog movies out and every one of them told of an adventure between a dog and their human soul mate. An unbreakable bond, and a relationship I very much wanted to be a part of. So, after years of begging, it finally happened, my mom caved, and on my 12th birthday (yes folks YEARS of begging) we went to the animal shelter. I was so excited that we were finally getting a dog! There was of course one other thing, one small detail my mom and I had neglected to flesh out….I wanted a BIG dog. I wanted a large beast who would fetch and swim and take over half of my bed with their snuggles. I wanted a dog’s dog, if that makes any sense. Unfortunately, my mom was nowhere near my train of thought. We were (and pretty much always are) on different trains on different tracks in different continents. Heck, we are almost always on totally different modes of transportation in different universes if you get my drift…. annnnnnnd ok this metaphor has gone on long enough. 

ANYWAYS so it was no surprise when we walked out of the shelter with a small (somewhat) personalityless dog. Now don’t get me wrong, good old Scruffy was a sweet guy and did like to cuddle from time to time, but he was not the Lassie I had been picturing in my head. I did love the little guy and I did weep openly the day my mom called me to tell me he had passed away….I was at work, in LA….

So, my childhood (ok preteen/ teenage) dog passed away and I was an adult now and ready to finally have a dog of my own, a dog’s dog. Then came Bella. Let me tell you it was a rocky start at first. I had never raised a puppy and man it was a big time responsibility (just like having a newborn which we can all relate to.) After we got over potty training and the separation anxiety, we settled into our routine as best friends. We would go on walks around gorgeous Southern California and to the dog park and the beach. She got me out of the house and made me feel more at ease with my new surroundings. I’m sad I do not have more pictures of her from when she was a puppy, but back then cell phone cameras were crappy and I was not with it enough to have a digital camera. The few shots I included on here are all I have. I keep the memories with me though and now, I get to see new ones being made, but not with me, with Emma.



When Bella entered my life, never did I think that she would one day be the childhood dog of my daughter. But as it stands, the two are nearly inseparable. Bella and Emma naturally gravitate to one another. They are both gentle, playful souls at their best. Bella is very patient and loves nosing herself into everyone else's busyness (that and I think she genuinely likes the sweet, sticky smell of toddler.) They always end up in funny situations together and I think overall they bring comfort to one another. They just enjoy each others company, like a silent sense of security. It’s one of the most beautiful relationships I’ve ever seen unfold.  It’s truly amazing to see. Looking at them together I can’t help but think that now Bella has two girls, an old friend and a new friend for life. We will be there for her, loving her just like she has been for us.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!