Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014: A Spectacular Look Back


It’s funny to look back on things. Well not funny so much as therapeutic I guess, a bit of a thought process that has me wishing my December 2014 self could run full speed ahead (behind?) into my January 2014 self and share a boatload of knowledge. But that wouldn’t give me some of the most difficult and challenging lessons I’ve learned in my life. There are some years that are more difficult than others and this was my doozie of a year. At the end of it? I feel simultaneously more planted in adulthood and yet marveling even more at the world through the eyes of a child. I think one of the things that stands out to me the most is that I matured a little more this year, bringing me ever closer to accepting my fate as a grown up, which I hate. I know that deep inside of me I have never left Never Land and I don’t intend to. But overall, I evolved as a human being, which, as I roll through my 30s, seems to get harder and harder to do, especially since I have started to form my grumpy old woman routine and opinions. Becoming stuck in my ways means that any change I’m faced with ends up usually hitting a few road blocks. But when you are forced into something, like I was this year, you have to adapt. This turns out to be good because you never know when the unexpected will happen, so the more you go through crazy shit, the better you become at adapting to it.

This year contained some bad events overall but, I don’t want to look back on the year as a complete failure. It was the year I learned that the term “mom” doesn’t define me. I learned how to balance motherhood and find time for myself in certain ways or at least give myself credit for having dreams and wanting to accomplish more than just doing the laundry on weekends. Eventually I will get there but for now, I’ve learned to merge what I love with motherhood. I use all of my pent up creativity to make my child smile (outings and crafts ya’ll) and through that, I’ve been enjoying life.

After some major heartbreak this year, I came out on top and figured out what next steps I want to take as a person to continue to grow and develop. I’m excited for 2015 and I hope you make some plans to look forward to as well but for now, a quick look back on 2014 with a few insights into the world of mommy Patterson (when Emma asked me what my name was that’s what I told her.)

Here are some top 5s for you:
*Top 5 Burning Toddler Questions Answered:
Potty Training: I have not posted an update on this in a looooong time mostly because well, progress has been made but not a whole lot. Looks like 2015 will be the year for potty training (which is going into its 3rd year  : /).
The terrible twos: Right now, we are doing pretty well learning which situations result in tantrums and avoiding them if possible. With the increase in Emma’s communication and understanding, we are also able to discuss in some detail when problems come up and how to resolve them. Still, wake this kid up from a nap at the wrong time and God help you.
Sleeping arrangements: We are still blissfully embracing the crib! Although, I know our time with it is very limited. The other day Emma climbed out during “nap time” when she decided she no longer wanted to stay in there. I know it’s just a matter of time until she figures out she can climb out of there after being put down for the night. Once that happens a few times, we will look into a new sleeping situation.
Preschool: So far so good, after a visit to Emma’s “new big girl school”, things are looking up. We talk about her new school constantly and she seems to be pretty excited about it although, I’m not holding my breath come the first day. It will be a bitter sweet time, leaving the only school she has ever known but I hope the transition goes smoothly (updates to come.)
Consistent Favorites Throughout the Year: Mickey Mouse (this show seems to never get boring ugh!),  cake, cookies, candy (the three C’s of course), running (I’m realizing more and more that Emma has potential as a track star), dinosaurs, gymnastics, piano/ music (whenever she sees a piano she has to “play it”), Frozen (it will never end), dump trucks/ any heavy machinery, reading books (she prefers “reading” them on her own rather than boring old mommy reading them to her), and oddly enough broccoli is still a favorite! (Notice naps didn’t make the list hmmm.)

*Top 5 Blog Posts: 
These are my most popular posts from 2014 (the most viewed):
*Top 5 Songs as listened to by me: 
Real Estate: Atlas (album) – Their music almost sounds like soothing elevator music with soft vocals and pleasant guitar riffs that somehow speak to me at this point in my life. This band/album was my most favorite discovery of 2014. My absolute favorite track is “Crime.” To be honest, I actually listened to it a lot after Robin Williams died. It soothed me and gave me strength at the same time.
Coldplay: Sky Full of Stars – It wouldn’t be me without a Coldplay song on here. Again another Robin Williamsish song but still uplifting and touching.
Pitbull and Kesha: Timber – I really can’t listen to this song without smiling/ getting an insta-mood boost. The lyrics are vulgar and not at all feminist friendly but, I have to allow room for some heavily produced musical crap in my life, right?
Elle: Ghost – Another upbeat song with a “conquer all” message. It was very motivating for me during workouts.
Santigold: The Riot’s Gone – And just so I don’t piss off my indie music peeps, I do want to mention this little gem that came out of a movie I saw. It’s unexpected, quirky, and captivating all at the same time.
*Top 5 Favorite Moments:
-Going to Florida! I wish I had blogged about this and might someday I will but we had such an amazing time together as a little family of three on vacation. The resort was amazing. It provided a little adventure for us and a chance to see great grandma which is always wonderful! – We will hopefully plan another “big” trip next year sometime.
-4th of July at the pool! This was the day I got my back injury but before that, Emma and her cousin played for hours in the baby pool just splashing around and having the most amazing time!
-When Emma was excited to see Santa Clause! I am sure a moment I will never forget.
-Going to see the dinosaurs! Granddaddy came along and we had a amazing time checking out the exhibits and playing outside on the National Mall.
-Getting to meet cousin Lucy! It was so exciting to be at the hospital with my sister when she gave birth and it was even more exciting to introduce the cousins a few weeks later.
I’m not setting any resolutions for myself except to maybe document Emma’s development more on here, go on more one on one dates with the hubs, and actually take a writing class at some point! (Yeah don’t expect my verbiage, content, spelling, or sentence structure to improve here but we’ll see.) Anyways I hope you all have a wonderful New Year full of adventure! See ya in 2015!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!