Monday, January 6, 2014

Cold Winter Brings Clingy Toddler



January has descended upon us with a furry. The rooftops are all but unrecognizable blanketed in winter's white splendor. With this splendor comes the harsh realization that nature has unleashed its gray cloak to snuff out the light and any hope of pleasant outdoor adventures. And with this, my own personal entrapment. I find myself being stuck indoors with a very clingy toddler. The walls and limbs are closing in on me and I find myself gasping for air and sunshine.

The clingy phase is nothing new but with the combination of mobility, the discovery of the spoken word, and the enviable lack of travel outside of the home, we have reached critical mass. I find myself walking down the hall only to have the back of my shoes stomped on by little feet. I try to have a moment to myself in the bathroom only to be burst in on with news that baby doll has lost her hat again. My sleeve is either being tugged on or being adorned with fresh snot of toddler. I am in demand for coloring, reading only a page or two out of 25 separate books in a row, and providing a freshly made snack at a moments notice.

I shall provide you with an example; One of Emma's new favorite games is to play "night night." It involves you laying down while she covers you with a blanket, pats your back, and decides whether or not she will grace you with the comfort of a pillow for your head. On Friday the game was cute the 20 times we played it. On Saturday the game was cute. On Sunday the game was cute until about 3:30pm hit and after the thousandth time the blanket found its way to my line of vision I had had enough. We all really need to get out of the house. I have plans next weekend for a Saturday afternoon lunch and very over due visit with some adult friends. I actually plan on crafting Emma a Valentine's day outfit because crafting is how I unwind, so she will not be far from my thoughts. The following weekend or a weekend shortly thereafter we are planning our first trip to the aquarium! I also have plans to sign Emma up for gymnastics. It seems all of my planning and creative juices got sucked up by the holidays and starting a new job but a new year means plenty of new adventures for us and I look forward to spending time with my family outside of the four walls of our house.

I'm very glad my child enjoys spending time with me. I'm shocked and flattered that someone would want to spend so much time by my side, but everyone needs their space at some point. I just hope I can remind her that she owes me one...or a few dozen when she's a teenager ready to run out of the house. I won't be following her into the bathroom, but I might just grab a blanket to snuggle and ask for a game of "night night."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!