Friday, March 7, 2014

100th Blog Post: My Blogging Process



Hurray! I have somehow managed to wrangle my wandering, unconventional thoughts and string them together into basic, cohesive sentences that people sometimes read! Yay for me! In all honesty, this is my own self controlling way of making a dream come true. I self publish! A few months back when I started the job I had before my current one, my co-worker asked (being an editor) if I was published. I paused for a moment very amused by the question and finally answered that yes, I was published in online; non-fiction and did not go into any more detail than that. I know how scholarly of me. 

I thought I would take my 100th post to explain the method to my madness if you will, how I come up with and find time to write my blog posts. There is a very simple answer with a complex explanation. Everything I write is completely sporadic. I don’t know if that’s very romantic/ classic author of me or just streamline with how thoughts rumble continuously through my head. Either way, the words always seem to come. Sometimes they come all at once. For example, I am writing this post as a string of four separate posts. All of them are topics I just needed to get out of my system at the time. Now later on, I might only actually publish two or three of them depending on how passionately I feel about them or how relevant they are to my current situation. Believe it or not I probably have at least 20-30 posts written that I never published for one reason or the other. 

Sometimes I will be in the moment and want to write down what I am feeling. Other times I like to just be straight forward and talk about what we have been up to. I try to stay true to my blog theme of parenting and motherhood keeping in mind my kids will most likely read this someday. Maybe it’s because of this or the fact that it is difficult to be vulnerable with strangers and even more difficult to be vulnerable with people you know that I don’t share everything on here. I hope to be brave and get the most important stuff out. People do have to maintain some level of mystery about them so there is my doggy answer to the whole avoidance thing. I also self-edit which is why some of my writing is all over the place. It’s easy for me to edit the voice of others but I cannot for the life of me reword my own voice at all. I suppose if you have been reading PWOC log enough you’ve picked up on what I really mean to say or what I am actually describing. Believe it or not, I do click the spell check button every now and then.

I usually write my posts in the evenings after work but every now and again I sneak one in during an afternoon nap on the weekends. This is why they have dwindled down to just one a week or even less. I have become overwhelmed with exhaustion at the end of each day now but I still can’t let this part of me go. It’s the one part of me I have that I do on my own. It’s a one man band back here on the other side of the keyboard and I cherish these few moments I get to reflect and unleash my pent up creativity. 

So I guess that’s it. Yay for 100 posts! Here’s for 100 more to capture a million more memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!