Friday, May 9, 2014

What I Need to Do for Mother's Day



Mother's Day is a time for rest, reflection, and most importantly spending quality time together as a family. There I just summed up every sentimental Mother's Day blog post and article you will read so you're welcome. To be honest, the past two weeks have been very stressful and difficult for many reasons. But from them, I have taken away something for myself  that I would like to work on. You see for this Mother's Day, I am giving myself a homework assignment, really a life assignment I guess. I know WORK on Mother's Day?!?! But bare with me for a moment.

My mind has been encapsulated in a dense fog for the past two weeks. I keep finding little moments, little beams of light, moments of clarity where I can focus on the amazingness of my child. Since I have been so busy and so mentally exhausted, I have realized the true importance of making the most of the moments I have with Emma. I keep whining on here about how I am so sad she is growing up and yet I feel like I am letting that all pass me by. So my assignment to myself is to really live in the moment and make sure I am giving her my undivided attention when I'm with her. Our afternoons and Saturdays together are two times I can start focusing in on the sound of her laugh, the way her hair curls up on the ends, and how she sometimes bables incoherently really fast about complete nonsense. I want to work on being able to focus in when life gets hectic and crazy.

That's probably the best mom superpower to have, just to be present for your child (ok making sure to always have awesome, Pintrest worthy snacks could also be considered a close second.) She is the purest form of joy I could ever ask for and I need that in my life more than ever. I have it right in front of me, why not partake in the awesomeness that simply is. So that's what I will be doing this Mother's Day and everyday going forward because we all know Mother's Day is every day.

Happy Mother's Day to all of you currently in the trenches and to those who will soon be joining the ranks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!