Friday, August 2, 2013

Happily Accepting My Fate






Growing up I always had ambitions. As a child I had many different interests that lead to lots of different career aspirations; everything from paleontologist, to an FBI agent, to an environmental scientist and plenty of variations in between. I am not sure why I never said specifically that I wanted to be a writer as a profession to pursue. Possibly my mother told me I couldn’t make much money as a writer? It could have also been the fact that as a child, I wrote for fun. I wrote for pleasure and never did I think that something I enjoyed doing could be at the forefront of my existence, a possibility for making a living. I am almost certain that I didn’t even think my writing could ever live up to anyone’s expectations, much less my own. 

I remember the first time I caught a glimmer of the possibility that I might have it in me to be a writer, when I was in the 6th grade. I wrote a fictional story about some friends at summer camp (really it was a true story about my girl scout friends and I hiking our way out of camp onto a highway) but I cleverly disguised the names so no one would know (I think I changed my name to Kate in the story just to put my disguise skills into perspective.) Anyways, I got a 96 on the paper and a note that said I was a good writer. My spelling, as usual was my fatal flaw, failing to get me a perfect 100%. I wrote a few decent things after that but then the turmoil of teenage years came and after that the beer guzzling college years and really I had “no time” to write anything profound (more like I was extremely distracted.) I was just trying to regurgitate whatever I had been taught in whatever class it was I was trying to slide my way through. 

The next insight into my future would not come until years later, while I was working in retail management. My co-worker, whom I had a ridiculous crush on at the time, told me that I was a writer. We were just standing there behind the counter one day and he just said it out of the blue. Of course when I started at him with my “what the heck does that mean” face he stopped and explained himself. I was well spoken and my emails and notes describing situations were eloquent. This gave me great excitement and I will never forget it (ok maybe I was just excited the guy had noticed me) but no, actually I was happy to hear it. 

Finally, when I first started my current job, the assistant to the executive looked straight at me and told me I was a writer. I wasn’t even sure where she got that from, possibly my outstanding correspondence? Who knows. All I know is I found her statement somewhat eirre at the time but I kept on trucking. It wasn’t until I started this blog, and received an opportunity to write at work that it finally hit ME. It took 30 years but I finally could look myself in the eye and say that I am a writer. This is me, this is who I am, who I have always been. This is my fate, my destiny, my transcending moment. Ever since then, I have had added confidence and an amazing sense of self that I have honestly never had. This was my moment of clarity when I could say that I know myself, I know who I am. I know who I have always been. Some people just saw it before I did. 

So here I am a blogger, a writer and today, I found out that I got the job I have mentioned a few times on here. I got it. My job title…Writer. Fate accepted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!