Tuesday, February 5, 2013

10 Things I Love About Being a Mom Right Now


Emma turned eight months old on Friday. I can’t believe how time is flying by. I am trying to hold on and savor every second of this beautiful journey. Don’t get me wrong there have been and will be challenges. Believe me, I have my moments of pure frustration, guilt, and uncertainty. The other day, as I was pulling up to drop Emma off at daycare, I realized something, there are a lot of reasons I love being a mom at this exact moment. So through all the diaper explosions, fussy bedtimes, and trips back home to get forgotten bottles, I present to you the 10 things I love about being a mom right now:

1.     My child has unconditional love for me.
Emma doesn’t care what kind of job I have or how much money I make. She doesn’t mind if I look a bit disheveled or dress her in a funny outfit. She goes with it. She looks to me as a source of comfort and love and that is by far the easiest thing anyone can ask for when they give all of their love in return.

2.     She finds joy in everything – She smiles and laughs so easily. Just the smallest thing excites her. She exudes light and joy.

3.     Other Mothers – Even though there are many different opinions out there that sometimes lead to “heated discussions” I am constantly amazed at the grace, wit, strength and willingness to help I see everyday. Whether it’s the collective conscious internet moms or my few close mom guru friends, I hope one day I am worthy of being a part of such a great community of support.

4.     People admiring my child – Yes, I know it’s a bit vain but who wouldn’t love someone coming up to you and saying how cute your kids is! Yeah that’s right those are half of my genes at work!
5.     I get to relive my childhood – I love being able to act goofy and squeal and play with toys. Little do most people know that I would love to being doing those things anyway!

6.     More bonding time with family – Since I’ve had Emma it is a great excuse to get together with family. I see my mom now almost every Saturday while my husband is at work. Just the other day my uncle stopped by to say hi to the baby. And I even get my sister to drive from far away to babysit. A real win if you ask me!

7.     I get to see things through a new perspective /I get to enjoy the little things – Everything is new and wondrous to Emma. Even with the smallest objects she takes her time to really study and examine them. A lot of what she takes in I would simply walk by or not give a second look, but she knows to take everything and really appreciate it.

8.     Newfound confidence in myself – So far I have successfully raised a healthy, happy 8 month old who is growing and learning every day. That makes me feel good. I’m actually doing it!  Also, I just carried a diaper bag and a car seat with a 20 lb baby through the rain. I am one badass mother!

9.     Newfound skills/ learning – I know how to spot illnesses I never knew existed, I can multitask like a pro, I actually am working on becoming a good cook, and the proof is in this blog; I am learning to recognize my thoughts and feelings and express them through writing.

10.  Get inspiration for wonderful things – This blog would not exist if not for my little. I am a creative and crafty person by nature. Having a baby is a perfect way for me to flex my artistic muscles. I made my own matching Halloween costume this year. I made curtains and reupholstered the cushions on the rocking chair. I have plans for creating an activity center in Emma’s room and I am already starting to work on the intricacies of her first birthday party!

All in all there really is nothing like motherhood. It is exhausting but at the end of the day I am grateful I get to have this experience in my life.

Are you loving motherhood right now? Even if you are going through a tough time; teething, sleep regression, terrible twos, colic; I know it gets tough but try to find the goodness in every situation. It’s better than being negative all the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!