Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Simplicity of He Time


In my previous post, I wrote about the complexity of “me time” wherein I am working on how I can find, keep, and use the short time I have for myself after the baby is asleep and dinner has been devoured (or slowly picked at if you know my cooking). I wanted to take this time to marvel at my husband’s amazing ability to find time for himself. As I have mentioned, my husband works the greater part of 50 hours a week, closer to 60 some weeks and here I am rushing to get things done so I can enjoy a few moments to myself and he maintains his usual pace and ends up somehow getting that balance. Now I’m going to be honest, the “balance” for both of us is really “unbalanced” because there is never enough time for either of us but my husband has the wonderful knack for finding time for himself. Here’s how he does it, one word: Simplicity.

While I am running around trying to get things done, he takes his time. It helps him conserve energy for later. He is very easy to please. All he wants for “he time” is a remote or a video game controller. He is a homebody by nature and is generally happy hanging out around the house, whereas I am a frantic wreck if I don’t get out of the house at least once a week to get some retail therapy or some face to face time with a friend. Don’t get me wrong, my husband loves to go out to any type of sporting event but in general he is a very laid back, peaceful man who somehow has almost never ending patience for me as I try to balance it all. He is the natural born domestic go to person in the house if there is one. He cooks a mean meal, he folds shirts and makes beds to perfection (thanks Army) and can clean up a diaper mess one handed! We have already talked and decided that if the day ever comes for us financially, he will be a stay at home dad! What an awesome guy!

Thus I am going to try to take a chapter from his book and just work in the moment, do what I can at the pace I can and try to enjoy the time I do have in simplistic ways. There are enough complicated situations in my day so I am going to work on sticking to simple. So who knows, maybe you will see me with a video game controller in my hand a little more often (I am a wicked Harry Potter Legos player btw). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!