Monday, March 4, 2013

The Beginning of the End?


All things have a beginning and an end. As mothers we have many fears and worries. Many are warranted and necessary, but there is that one thing we all fear that is totally unavoidable … the dreaded toddler tantrum! The meltdown, the outburst, the fit, the throw down, and otherwise known as the moment no mother wants to have to be a part of. Well, it happened to me. My sweet, happy baby girl had her fist tantrum the other day. Being only nine months old, Emma has hit all of her milestones early but this was one I was hoping would not rear its ugly head until well after her second birthday (yes wishfully thinking I know). I thought we would have at least a few more months of sweet baby bliss before toddlerhood showed up, but alas that bubble has been burst (pun intended later on).

Now don’t get me wrong, we have had crabby cries and general moodiness but this was different. It all started on a typical weekday afternoon, our special time together after a long day at work and daycare. This is our time to spend one glorious hour/ hour and a half together to play before dinner. I get on the floor with her and bang around with her toys and enjoy every minute of it. 

To back track a little, for Christmas, Santa brought some bubbles in Emma’s socking, so on this particular afternoon mommy thought it would be a good idea to play bubbles. Emma was so cute trying to imitate the blowing motion with her mouth. She was more fascinated with where the bubbles came from than the bubbles themselves. I let her examine the wand in my hand but I should have known what was coming next. She wanted to put the wand in her mouth! I quickly threw the wand back into the Santa shaped bubble dispenser and did my best to close the lid with my slippery fingers. Well needless to say that DID NOT go over well. Little did she know that I saved her from a rather unpleasant soapy mouth experience but I suppose when one throws a tantrum they have no other thoughts except for their ultimate goal in mind. Emma made the most discussed looking face, crinkled nose and all (yeah I think I saw the stink eye too). She definitely was not pleased. Then came the verbal whining, not crying, whining and a foot stomp! I was shocked! Sassing mommy already!?!? This followed by some form of arm flailing and a swift plop onto the floor.

It felt like my thoughts were moving in slow motion through my head as I processed what was going on. Everything flashed through my stream of consciousness from a future tantrum in 10 minutes at dinner; peas thrown everywhere, all the way to an evil glare from a teenager who is trying to leave the house in questionable attire. Finally I snapped out of it and realized the protest was still going on. I grabbed the nearest colorful object and waved it vigorously in the air and just like that, it was over. Her first tantrum. Ok it was not a 9.0 off the charts event or anything but still it was a small glimpse into the world we would be inhabiting in the near future and from the looks of it the nearer future than I was planning on. And now I am left to wonder is this really the beginning of the end of my sweet baby days?

I have included a picture of the jolly old bubble elf himself. Looking rather smug for having just started a tantrum.  



What was your child’s first tantrum? What was the worst one they had and how did you handle it? 

2 comments:

  1. Ah yes. I remember Doug's first tantrum. Oddly, there's no space in the baby book for 'baby's first tantrum'. It was just after his first birthday, like a day or two after. We were at Toys R Us, THE spot for tantrums. We'd been testing out wagons. We'd done a return and gotten a few gift cards, so we were thinking about getting one. Anyway, Jeff got a model down from the shelf and we popped Doug in and took him up and down a few aisles in it. We decided we liked it and Jeff hefted it back onto the shelf. Well, evidently Doug liked it too because he threw a huge tantrum, complete with falling to the floor and kicking his legs! We just laughed, it was such a spectacle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow don't get in between a boy and his wagon! Thanks for the heads up. I do not think we will be hanging our in Toys R Us too often! I feel like that is s secret place that exists for grown ups. A sort of Santa's workshop if you will. I'm sure we won't be able to avoid it with Emma completely but I will try!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you!