Monday, March 11, 2013

Easter Basket Showcase


Easter is early this year, 3/31 (meaning I have to get my over scheduled but into gear sooner eek). I find myself enjoying more success if I plan ahead for events/ milestones with Emma so I am taking that philosophy and sharing with you my Easter Basket Showcase (casue yep I already have them done- ask me about the plans for her birthday in June, yeah been there done that already- ok end of my type A, OCD interlude).

Here was my journey:

I went to go get some Easter basket supplies when I realized several things. 1. Baskets are freaking expensive (ok the “couture” ones from Michael’s were- not that I have anything against Michael’s I love it there- just couldn’t bring myself to throw down that much loot on baskets) and 2. What the heck do I put in a baby Easter basket? Peeps and crayons aren’t going to work for us. Knowing Emma she would draw on the wall with the Peeps and eat the crayons.  So I got down and thrifty with it and did a little thinking and here’s what I came up with:

Baskets: I guess my semi-hoarding tendencies come from somewhere because when I called my mom to ask her if she had our old Easter baskets from when we were growing up she said “YES! Two huge trash bags full. Come on over and pick what you would like!” So tip number 1. Ask around to see if anyone has some baskets they are willing to give you. Anything will do, even a basket that held flowers or was used for storage. If you don’t have a nostalgic mom like I do, or are creeped out by the idea of using 20 year old baskets then I did see some more affordable ones at Target and Walmart.

Contents: Obviously it’s a little too early to introduce Emma to the magical world of Cadbury but I wanted to include something budget friendly and fun for her to enjoy. I got a kit that included grass, eggs, and the shiny plastic wrap to go around the basket for $3 at Walmart. The price was so good I got two (one pink one green) and I still have some left over (guess what’s showing up next year). 



I plan on putting some dry cereal and dried fruit in the eggs for her (obviously I am waiting until the night before). I am hoping she will enjoy opening the eggs to find familiar snacks inside. For the actual basket contents themselves I ended up putting in some clothes which I folded to give an interesting visual. 

I also included some toy cars for her to play with (I saw her playing with some at daycare so I knew these would be a hit.) 


For her “big gift” I got her a set of puzzles which she has been more and more into. Lastly even though we had a tantrum incident before, I decided to include “bunny bubbles” because she does love bubbles and the bunny shape is festive (ok maybe I just have a thing for holiday themed bubble dispensers.)


VoilĂ  Baskets! (I added the bows which I saved from our wedding presents and I will be recycling again!)The baskets aren’t overloaded with things because like at Christmas I went with the less is more theory especially since I know she will be getting baskets from both grandmas, but hey three baskets isn’t a bad haul!



















I hope these sparked some ideas and inspiration for you creating your baskets! Let me know what you will be including in your baskets in the comments or send me a picture via Instagram @pearlywordsofchaos to show of your basket assembling skills! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!