Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Thanking a Village





It is definitely true; it takes a village to raise a child. In certain ways you cannot prevent "the village" from raising your child because you cannot filter everything they come in contact with 100% of the time and honestly different perspectives of the world help enrich children and bring depth to their character (at least in my opinion). With that I wanted to take a moment to thank all of the positive influencers, the villagers that have encouraged Emma during her first year:

Her Dad:
A wonderful supportive man who isn’t afraid to act silly or change unsettling diapers! Emma is lucky to have an awesome daddy.



Her Nana:
Even though my mom and I do not see eye to eye on some things, my mom has proven to be very supportive and an energetic play companion for Emma. She is always there to remind Emma of her manners and how dressing up makes you feel special, no matter what the occasion.



Her Aunt:
A woman who leads a very healthy life style, Emma is lucky to have her Aunt Julia to teach her how to cook healthfully(mommy is cooking inept). Her aunt is in the process of becoming an English teacher so she will also be able to help Emma keep her grammar in check as well.


Her Granddad and Uncle:
My dad and my brother are silly goofs! These two are amazing photographers and are always teaching Emma how to appreciate the wonder in the small things.



Her Cousins:
As our first, Emma does not have any siblings at the moment, so she looks up to her cousins and enjoys spending time playing with them. Along with her daycare buddies, her cousins teach her about sharing and working together.



Her Daycare Caregiver:
Ms. Aisha is Emma’s primary caregiver at daycare. She is very support of Emma’s development and a sweet nurturing woman. I was shocked to find out she doesn’t have any kids because she has such natural mothering instincts. From crafts, to walking, to sign language, Emma’s world is forever a better place for having her in it.

Her Godparents Nick and Vera:
Our best friends, Nick and Vera are fellow dog lovers, full of life, intelligent, and exude amazing positivity. Vera is my female soul mate and shares a lot of the same quirky traits that I do. We often talk to each other in Swedish milk maid voices and are always covered in dog hair. They will teach Emma to not take life to seriously.  Vera, a theater buff will teach Emma to appreciate the arts and Nick, an architect, will teach her how to point out the different between art deco and art nouveau in any structure she sees.




Her Pediatrician:
Doctor Burns has seen Emma since she was first born and for what seems like almost every other week since. We are forever in debt to her patience and thoroughness. She will teach Emma how to stay healthy and live well.

Her Internet Mamas/ My Mom Guru Friends:
It’s no secret I turn to the internet for advice from other moms. I also tap into my network of mom friends to help me out. It helps me as a mother to learn from them and lean on them so I can strengthen myself to be the best mom for Emma.

Sesame Street:
This is one of the very few shows we let Emma watch that she actually likes. She is very selective with what she will give her attention to on tv. We only let her watch tv on weekend mornings and when she is sick. I feel good knowing that she will learn and grow with quality children’s programing. (A little secret, mommy enjoys watching it too.)

Who is in your child’s village? Who do you lean on for support to raise your child?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! You are a wonderful mom and I can't wait to get advice when it is my turn!! Cooking lessons will def happen. <3 A.J.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!