Sunday, April 7, 2013

Being Super Mom



Sorry things have been quiet around here, last week was one of the craziest weeks I’ve had in a while. Almost every day turned into an event of epic proportion that engulfed my entire being. Every day ended in utter exhaustion. I am glad I made it through but more than that, I am proud of myself for making it through. That’s right I am tooting my own bejeweled brass horn and I am here to tell you to do the same!

It actually all started on Tuesday. I had a medical problem come up that involved a surprise trip to the doctor’s office. So I had to leave work in the middle of a big project, pick up Emma, and fight my way through the beginning of rush hour to get to the doctor. Since they squeezed me in I was at the mercy of the other appointments. There I was, sitting in a waiting room with a 10 month old and not too much for entertainment. At the last moment, when it looked like all hope was lost and the beginnings of a tantrum started to rear their ugly head…I dug in my magic Mary Poppins diaper bag and in the nether regions, past Narnia, I found a food pouch! With no bowl or spoon in sight I took a chance and gave her the pouch. If anything maybe I would get lucky and she would squirt it all over the waiting room and I was willing to take a chance on anything that would get us seen faster.

Fast forward a few hours and we were outta there. Luckily my husband was able to leave work early and take Emma while I went to get my prescription filled. What was supposed to be a simple pick up and drop off at the pharmacy turned into me having to go to two locations in the thick of rush hour and ended with me being stuck in the pharmacy from hell. I have never been to a retail establishment where the workers refused to answer the phone and screamed at each other to just “let the phone ring.” The lines were ridiculously long and I seemed to be the only person who wasn’t harboring a contagious disease. I felt like I was in a scene from Outbreak and there was no escape. It got so bad that one of the pharmacy workers screamed at a customer saying he was wasting his time. It was one of the most horrific experiences I’ve ever. I literally scrunched myself up in the corner and breathed into my jacket until I was able to leave.

After making it through the pharmacy visit from hell I was hoping everything would calm down, but I got a phone call at 4pm on Wednesday from my husband saying he had to go to New York for training…that night. That gave me really no time to prepare for being alone with the baby for two days and I definitely was not prepared for my car to break down on the way to work on Thursday morning. Just to set the scene, my husband is a trained mechanic who works for a wholesale auto parts company. All of the ingredients that allow for a constant piece of mind when it comes to my vehicle running properly. So of course my car’s alternator waits to go bad until my husband is hundreds of miles away. Luckily, Emma and I had made it to daycare. My car failed to start in the parking lot, which was better than it dying on the side of the road. I was able to get it towed to my husband’s job where his mechanic friends where able to work on it. However, that wasn’t until I had pulled out the 100 lb car seat and the stroller and the diaper bag and anything else I could fit in my arms. My mom was gracious enough to pick us up and I schlepped all of the afore mentioned items into her car and then from her car into the house. Yep, exhausting. 

I was left carless Friday for most of the day but I was fortunate enough to be able to work from home. I balanced my workload and got my car back Friday afternoon. To celebrate, I took Emma to the park! It was a great end to a hectic week.

Now that I am looking out onto the horizon of a new week I have a brighter outlook on everything that happened. I can call myself a super mom. Was my house spotless and a gourmet meal cooked every night? Were my clothes neatly pressed and my hair perfectly in place? No. Not everything can be perfect and honestly that is not being a super mom. Being a super mom is making it through any difficult situation, no matter how big or small, from trying to find somewhere to change a diaper, to making a healthy lunch, overcoming any adverse situation. We are all super moms and sometimes we get to brag about it too! Making it through all of these little things build confidence and give you a reason to pat yourself on the back. Even when everything feels like it’s falling apart, we are still doing it. We are making it through every second of every day and that makes us all super moms. 

Do you have a "super mom" story? Had a bad situation you overcame? I'd love to hear about it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!