Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Story of Us – Conception- Part 1




With Emma’s first birthday rapidly approaching I wanted to write a series of posts chronicling our journey to becoming a family of three. I did not blog in the early days of parenthood so these stories were left untold and since I am coming full circle on this life altering year I wanted to share them with you. I went through a really hard time in the beginning of my parenting journey, which is why I was so glad I happened to stumble upon mommy blogs for guidance and understanding. Sharing my stories over these last few months has become therapeutic for me and has allowed me to get to know myself as a parent. I am super thrilled to be able to share my passion for writing with you, the audience (all 10-15 of you yay!), to give you an understanding of who I am and where I come from based on the experiences I have lived through.  Hopefully my past posts and what I am about to share will resonate with some of you. I am about to share my very personal conception story in hopes to connect with any body who is going through a difficult time to let you know that you are not alone, I have been there.

With that I will start my family journey with the “conception” story, which will include everything but an actual description of the conception so hold your horses there! I guess I will start my story in 2008, when I met my husband. Really so many events in my life had to happen for me to meet my husband thus resulting in having my child, but until I have time to complete my memoir we will have to start here.

 I met Thomas, my husband in 2008 after I had moved back to the East Coast from a short stint in LA studying film (yup wanted to be an awesome feminist documentary film maker but again a story for another day.) Shortly after my husband and I started dating, I ended up going to my OB complaining of pains in my ovary area, not just cramps but pains. He was of the mindset that I had cysts on my ovaries which, if they were severe, would need treatment. The best way for him to judge was to do a laparoscopic surgery in which they make a small incision and insert a camera to see what’s going on in there. Looking back on this now I’m not sure if I really needed the procedure, but I did give it a good bit of thought and decided it was in my best interest to go through with it at the time. I only told a very select group of people that I was having the procedure. I had several close friends there to support me mentally and physically during and after the surgery. No one in my family except for my sister knew about it. It was an outpatient procedure so I would be in and out and I did not want to worry anyone.
   
I remember before the procedure I was very nervous. This was my first surgically invasive procedure ever. I was barely with it when I saw the doctor pull my friend aside as they were rolling me in to tell her it might be cancer. At that point, my friend started to lose it and all I could do was close my eyes and try to shut out what was going on. That was one of the scariest moments of my life and I don’t even know how people live through actually being told they have cancer, my few minutes of “what if” was nothing in comparison. The surgery went well and I somehow remember wanting a huge bacon cheese burger after, which I miraculously kept down. Odd the details you remember years later.

Well after what seems now like weeks later but was probably only a few days, the results were in and they were so far off from what I had even imaged they would be. There were no cysts, there was no cancer (thank God).      My tubes were blocked.  . …Um wait what? Blocked?!!? What does that mean? What was to follow that bit of news was one of the most difficult conversations I’ve had to have. Basically I was told that with my tubes blocked I could not get pregnant. I would need to have a procedure to unblock them in the future and even then I might never be able to conceive. On top of that, if by some chance I was to get pregnant, it would mostly likely be an ectopic pregnancy which is deadly. It is hard to convey the true shock and extreme sadness that set in immediately after hearing the news in this short post but believe me it was immeasurable.

My world shattered right then and there. Here I was told that I would have a difficult journey if I would ever tried to conceive if I could even conceive at all. Thomas, my boyfriend at the time, was with me when I was given the news. He was right there in the room. While my mind faded way he was alert and asking questions. We had only been dating for a few months but we both knew our relationship was special, and now he knew the full extent of my troubles. I might not be able to have kids, ever and certainly any risk of getting pregnant anytime in the near future could be deadly (not that we were planning to have kids anytime soon, just the thought of having to be extra careful with our contraceptive usage came to mind.) I was very upset for weeks to come crying in random intervals and I thought I saw a glimmer of doubt cross Thomas’ face when I asked him if he would be ok with possibly never having children (a heavy loaded question after only a few months of dating.) After talking it over for months and falling deeper in love we both somewhat settled into the idea that we might only have dogs as our children and for the time we were ok with that.

Check back soon to see part two of my conception story.

Did you have any trouble conceiving? If you feel comfortable sharing, I would love to hear your story or feel free to add your link in the comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!