Friday, April 26, 2013

Our Crazy Friday Afternoon



It seems that I've been able to escape my chaotic clumsy forgetfulness for a while. Yay me! That is until today happened. It all started with my decision to go with my co-worker to an insane workout class at lunch. Normally I go to the gym and run on the treadmill 4-5 days a week (post on this to come). I blast the music on my phone and go at my own pace and enjoy my me time. So out of force of habit, I ended up bringing my cell phone with me to the gym only to realized I wouldn't need it for the class. Enter an hour of but kicking, extreme sweat inducing, air gasping, body movement. By the end of the class I had to peel myself off the mat. The small amount of my brain that was still processing rational thought was over run with my nervous system's register of pain and soreness. In this hazy state of mental consciousness it was a wonder I managed to grab my gym bag and remember the way to my desk.

Just like every other day I left work at 3:30, picked Emma up from daycare, and managed to only hit the beginnings of Friday rush hour traffic. Emma is actually pretty good in the car but after a full day at daycare she is usually tired and ready to get home just like her mom. So it works out pretty well that our commute is only about 20 minutes because that's all we can both handle really. As we pulled into our neighborhood I had a bad gut feeling like something was missing. Upon pulling up to the house it hit me, I didn't see my cell phone in my gym bag. I haphazardly dug through my trash filled purse but came up with nothing. At this point, I was in full panic mode. I had brought my phone to the gym and it could have dropped out of my bag ANYWHERE in my office building (Side note my office building is actually three massive buildings in one.)

At this point, I tried to filter past my exhaustion to get to my problem solving brain cells. Cranky baby + a 40 minute round trip car ride = NOT GOOD. Lost pictures/ videos of memories on cell phone = worse? Call her dad to come home...hmm no phone to do that. After weighing the options I decided I had to go back to find my phone. I had to give it a try even though there was the possibility of not finding it and having a super cranky kid the rest of the night. 9 times out of 10 I cater to Emma's needs so she would have to take one for the team this time. Wanting to soften the blow of another car ride I grabbed some food, her sippy cup, and some toys. Then, we started out on our journey....into an even worse Friday afternoon traffic situation.

As soon as the first sounds of baby protest came I grabbed the food pouch I had quickly snagged from the house and gave it to her. I knew there was a high probability of her getting it everywhere but given the circumstances I was willing to deal with it. By the time we made it back to my office I realized my mistake. I had grabbed a blueberry pouch concoction that had a brownish hue to it so it now looked like my child was covered in poop. She had managed to get the stuff everywhere and her protest did not end there. Somehow she had managed to extract her shoe and sock and hide them in the Narnia of the car because they were nowhere to be found. Wanting to get the ordeal over with I just went with it. I wiped her down as best as I could and we entered a prestigious place of business. Yup just me, my baby, her one shoe, and her "poop" covered shirt.

Rewind back to the fact that my body was aching from my earlier work out and I was now walking quickly through a massive building with my 22lb child. I ran into the gym where a woman was working out. I looked around frantically saw nothing and quickly moved on. It came to mind later that I must have looked like an absolute loon. Imagine you are enjoying your quiet Friday afternoon workout when a woman with crazy eyes runs in carrying a child who appears to be covered in poop with one shoe on as she psychotically looks around the room like she has a nervous tick and then runs out. Yeah.

After coming up empty handed at the gym I proceeded to my desk 3 floors and one building away. At this point my arms were near collapse, sweat had started to trickle down my back, my knees feel like they are going to give out, and I was really concerned that my phone was gone, along with the pictures and videos. Not yet ready to admit defeat, I finally rounded the corner of my cube and there it was! Glistening in the florescent light...my memory keeper! I only have about 10 or so numbers saved in my phone (one being the pediatrician and one being daycare) all I cared about were the pictures. So, I have learned my lesion and am finally becoming friends with this cloud thing I have heard so much about.

The main thing is Emma and I are ok. She survived and did even better than expected. I even found her shoe, but that didn't stop her from taking it off again on the way home and I felt like she deserved at least that.











No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!