Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Playing Hide and Seek: How I am Slowly Digging My Ostrich Head Out of the Sand





I got another smack in the face realization the other day.  I guess because my brain is always processing something for work, something that needs to get done around the house, doctor’s appointments, vet appointments, family gatherings, and various toddler milestones the only way for anything else to get through is to fly full speed ahead at my brain and land smack dab in the emergency alert area. As in you have dropped the ball on this…warning…WARNING this needs attention. Some sort of something like that is how I would describe the sensation.

Anyways my realization came when a friend, pretty much best friend, gave me a call to finally plan out a weekend of fun together (after I TOTALLY forgot that I had made plans with her last weekend*epic friend fail*). While on the phone, she ended up sharing a personal hardship she was going through that, to me, seemed to come out of left field. Now this person is one of the closest people to me and we know each other so well we can have those conversations without talking. You know someone who has dealt with an abundance of my crap over the years and has still loved me anyway. And here I was listening to the events of her life unfold and I had no idea what had been going on. It really hit me; I had no idea what was going on in my best friend’s life. Meaning I have pretty much isolated myself in my little family bubble for the past few months or year or so…. I had been juggling all of the balls and I let that one drop. My head and been stuck in the sand, so concentrated on everything else. I felt terrible but then in some ways I knew I had had no choice. Sickness, car break downs, mommy break downs, terrible weather, all had contributed to putting up road blocks on my already bumpy new mom road.

Now that the light bulb has gone off, my car is fixed, the weather is looking a lot better, and I am better at handling a baby on an outing, I have decided to take smalls steps toward stabilizing my social life. I have already gone on one date night this month and I am hoping to get out to see my friends at least a couple of times a month and maybe even see about finally getting to craft club again (if I really feel like getting wild.) Do not despair friends I am on my way! Now if someone else could just hold this other ball for me for a little while then we will be all good. 



                                   (this was my friend's 80s themed bday party pre-baby
                                   when I was pregnant. I went as the pregnant prom queen)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!