Friday, May 3, 2013

The Story of Us – Conception- Part 2





Months of dating turned into a year and a half and four dog children later and one day in a cave, I was proposed to, faulty tubes and all. We had it, we had our family. Four amazing, wonderful dogs and each other. It just so happened that we ended up planning our wedding around the same time two of our other friends had planned their weddings.  I also started a new job a few months prior. So there I was a new employee, a bridesmaid, a maid of honor, and a bride all within a few months. It was a crazy whirlwind period of time but I enjoyed every minute of it. Our wedding was the last one of the three and I will never forget the stress and anticipation leading up to it. The personalized place cards, the programs, the seating arrangements, it was anxiety at its finest.

At first I thought all of the stress and running around was the reason I was late with my cycle for the month. I mean after all, I KNEW I couldn’t be pregnant. I waited as long as I felt comfortable before finally taking a pregnancy test …the week before my wedding. I will never forget the morning when the lines showed up on the stick. Thomas was still sleeping in bed and I ran in with my pee covered wand and shoved it in his face. PREGNANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT??????????

Simply put, I was stunned. But I was more than stunned. I was confused, worried, surprised, excited, and nervous as hell. I think I left out about 10 more emotions but you get the idea. Was my OB to blame? Was I given false information? All I know is in December 2008 I was told I could not have kids and here it was October of 2011 and I was looking at a stick that said I was. I will never forget that day at the doctor’s office. I went in the morning and they confirmed I was pregnant. They checked to make sure it was not ectopic and to see how far along I was. Five weeks! Looks like during all of the wedding celebrating that somehow I had gotten pregnant. My OB said that my tubes must have cleared on their own (OOoook – I ended up with a different OB later on).

When I went into work that afternoon, after having been to the doctor, they threw me a wedding shower. It was crazy because my wedding was now THE LAST thing on my mind. I ate the cake and smiled and opened my gift from the office and faked my emotions until it was quitting time. Ok I made it through that, now I will only have to make it through two days full of all of my family and friends without showing the utter panic and excitement of being pregnant. Grand! Piece of Cake! I thought it over in my head and decided that this time (our wedding) needed to be about me and Thomas. Standing up at the rehearsal dinner and announcing we were expecting just didn’t seem like it would flow well if you know what I mean.

We had a wonderful wedding. I ended up telling my sister and one friend that I was pregnant so they could do alcohol recon and make sure I was only drinking apple juice and gingerale. We then set off on our wonderful, all inclusive, non-refundable, honeymoon to Jamaica where I had the worst all-day sickness and about 100 virgin daiquiris. (To this day I still tell my husband that he owes me a pregnancy free honeymoon.)

(Me drinking one of my nonalcoholic drinks on our honeymoon)

Since I was kind of left to my own devises to figure out how my tubes magically started working again I reasoned for a while and came up with this: I had been working out and eating extremely healthy leading up to the wedding and I had also started a new, stress free job. I truly believe that these three ingredients at least assisted in the conception of my Emma.

Check back soon for the continuation of the story of us. Pregnancy and telling my mom! Followed by my delivery story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!