Friday, May 10, 2013

Thoughts on Being a Mom: My Pre-Mother’s Day Musings



As the week is winding down and Mother’s Day approaches, (semi-technically my first real mother’s day since I was two weeks away from giving birth last year) I wanted to take a moment to reflect on what it means to me to be a mother as I am sure it is different for everyone. Any future mommies out there pay attention, any current mommies commence the head nodding!

Feeling an overwhelming sense of love –
It is hard to explain the love I feel as a mom other than it is like I have this tiny best friend who I am semi-obsessed with and worry about all the time. So motherhood is like an addiction … if you honestly think about it…maybe

 Feeling an overwhelming sense of guilt –
Along with the love as previously mentioned comes guilt. No one is perfect and by any means and there is no such thing as a perfect mother but I always feel like I could be doing more or I am missing out on something. That’s why I try to cherish the little moments. There are never perfect long periods of time only perfect moments so I hold onto them whenever I can.

Going on new/ old adventures! –
I love going to new places with Emma or places I’ve been to a million times because everything is new to her! Emma is just starting to notice things, in fact on our trip to the zoo the last week she told me “I see, I see!” after I asked her if she saw the monkeys! Because everything is new to her I have to remember that she takes a little extra time exploring or concentrating on things and that attention to detail is amazing to me!

Providing –
I am constantly working hard at my job to ensure the financial stability of my family and working hard at home; learning how to cook healthy meals and making sure Emma has what she needs to grow and thrive!

Nurturing –
Anyone from my past knows I am not much of a nurturer. I usually needed the nurturing. It has been an incredible part of my new journey to see myself transform into this role. Someone needs me and I want to be sure I am there for her!

These are just a few points about what it is like for me being a mom right now. I’m sure motherhood like everything else evolves and changes with the addition of new children and the passing of time. I look forward to checking back on these posts from my early mothering days to laugh at my challenges and reminisce over the stories.

How about you? Sometimes we don’t stop to think about what being a mother means to us. What does it mean to you? 

2 comments:

  1. Kathryn, I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day. This will be my...oh wow 3rd Mother's Day. I love looking back on how much DH and I have grown as parents. We have two beautiful girls and couldn't be happier.
    To me, being a Mom is the best job in the world, probably the hardest too. The girls have helped me to be stronger, more positive and overall a better person. As a mom of a 10 month old and 2.5 year old being a mom consists of lots of playing, hugs and kisses, following their lead, and learning new things together. I love being a mom, I wouldn't change it for the world! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! Hope you had a happy mother's day! The playin, hugs, and kisses are some of my favorites too! I feel like the journey has made me a stronger person as well and I have met some other amazing moms on the way!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you!