Friday, May 31, 2013

Emma’s First Year: A Look Back





Well it’s finally here. Tomorrow is Emma’s first birthday. It is really crazy to think just a few months ago I had a baby who was content to lay in her bassinet and look around the room and now I have a full blown walking, talking  toddler who “fake cries” when she doesn’t get her way. Here’s a look back at Emma’s journey through her first year:

An Eye Opener: Emma literally was minutes old when this picture was taken. Her eyes opened and have barely closed since. She rarely naps for fear she might miss something. She needs to see it all.



Her first Outing: We took our first trip to the pediatrician’s office. I remember planning out what she would wear ahead of time and making sure we had everything we needed for the short trip.



Her First babbles: I got super excited when she started mumbling loudly. Now she says actual words like “Hi” (more like hihihihihihi) and “thank you” (which sounds more like tachew)



Her first Laugh: I was so sad my husband was working when she laughed for the first time. I recorded it and made sure to call him so he could hear it. Now, she laughs all the time (she is super ticklish).



Being Sick: Even though sickness is never something I like remembering it was definitely a big part of her first year. We are looking forward to a strengthened immune system in the upcoming years (perfect attendance preschool here we come!) – I know wishful thinking.



Her first Bath: This was her first bath in the "big girl tub" I remember being so nervous bathing her, worried water or soap would get in her eyes. Now she splashes all over place and loves it. 



Her First Holidays: Even though she didn’t quiet grasp what was going on, it was still fun to get all excited for each holiday and seeing her get excited too.



Her first food: I spent a lot of time worrying about this and to this day, Emma’s diet and nutritional intake (along with my own) have become a big deal and are usually what I spend the most time researching. Her first solid food was oatmeal based on pediatrician recommendation and a lot of reading. She loved it and has been gobbling up pretty much everything else since. (Avocado is what is eating in the picture, also a good first food.) 



Standing/ Walking: Crawling turned out to be a lot of hype (I built it up myself) only to be brought back to reality. There isn’t that moment when your child crawls. They sort of roll and wiggle, and scoot and eventually find their way around. Walking is more of a definite ok there is it, it has happened, mark down the day and the hour! Although Emma took her first steps and then took a month or so before she was actually walking. She sort of just started doing it one day.



Blowing Kisses: (I haven't been able to capture a picture of this one because she moves too fast.) She doesn’t quiet have the concept down, but Emma will “blow” you a kiss, or rather put her hand up to her mouth and kiss her hand. I am anxiously awaiting the day I get a real kiss from her. Which just goes to show the many, many more milestones and new discoveries we have ahead.

Stay tuned for posts on her birthday party and a nursery makeover to come! I am excited to dive into the world of raising a toddler, our next chapter together and look forward to hearing your stories along the way! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!