Thursday, September 19, 2013

Why Things Change: An Open Letter to My 15 Month Old

Dear Emma,

It seems to be that time again. The changing of the seasons. We don't have to much control over time, just what we do with it. I am guilty myself of wasting it myself, although I am learning each and every day how to make the most of it. I bring up change and time because on Monday, I will start a new job and our afternoon time together is going to change. New routines will be born, new THINGS but what I am determined to remain is getting that precious time just the two of us.

Since you were born we have been fortunate enough to share every afternoon together. Some were spent sick, others were spent cranky, but most were full of fun and laughter. Through all the crazy weather, we somehow always made it home right before the storm, every time.

Our afternoons started out simple and sweet. You didn't get around to much and we were both content to giggle and snuggle. It was on one such afternoon that I heard you laugh for the first time.



Then you needed more space to stretch out, so accommodations were made. I will never forget the time you could finally scoot yourself over to me. You always tried to push the physical boundaries of your little body and I enjoyed watching you persevere.



Time passed too fast and suddenly, you were no longer happy on a small little blanket, you needed more space to explore.



A corner suddenly turned into the whole house and now you happily go running up and down the hallway squealing and laughing at the sound of your own echo.


 
 
You move really fast and it is difficult to capture you sitting still. You usually end up an enthusiastic blur




This has been the evolution of our afternoons together and I know there is more to come.

Growing up is a part of life and you are growing everyday. What I have learned though is that growing up does not stop as you get older. You always change and evolve. Even now, I am still growing and changing and the time has come for me to grow at work. I am moving on to learn more and experience new things. With this comes a change in our day. I had been feeling a lot of guilt about this until I realized that I am still growing up. I still need to live my life. You will always be my number one priority and I am going to do my best to preserve our time together because it is the most precious thing to me. I just want you to understand the decision that I made and I hope, just like I will do for you, you will be in my corner cheering me on through every new experience. Because life is short and I still plan on having a lot of new experiences.

These afternoons together have meant the world to me since I know all to soon they will be filled with after school activities and homework and eventually you grabbing the car keys and running out the door. Even when our time fills up with all of these things I hope we can take a moment, grab a blanket, and spend some time together.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!