Thursday, September 5, 2013

The Toddler Room


 
 
It happened. One of my worst nightmares has become a reality. My sweet baby is transitioning into the toddler room at daycare. The. TODDLER. room. people! As in there really is no looking back, babyhood is gone. To be honest, for the past week or two it had occurred to me that a room full of immobile, flailing babies was not a super fun place for my active toddler to hang around in all day so in a way, I am glad they started transitioning her. She does fit in better with the circle times and the regular playground trips of the toddler class. Deep down I knew this transition was coming sooner rather than later. We actually saw the end of the last little bit of babyhood at home as well. Emma used her last bottle over a week ago. We had actually been holding onto her morning bottle since that was the easiest for me to give her while I got ready for work but we ended up switching over to the sippy cup which eventually lead to a demand for a real breakfast (I can’t blame her) which lead to actual food before leaving the house (we leave the house before 6:30am every morning so throwing together any type of breakfast is a challenge. Bananas and Cheerios have become my best friends.)

But back to the toddler room. In all actuality, it is set up for munchkins Emma’s size and it is an exciting place. It has big floor to ceiling windows on the side that let in a lot of light (the baby room had skylights.) It has a carpeted area with tons of books for independent reading and story time. It has a “big kid” table and chairs (no more floor high chairs). There is a little kitchen area set up on one side and a whole bunch of new toys to discover. I haven’t done a complete walk around yet but the place looks like heaven for a toddler. I haven’t talked to them about their routines or curriculum yet, but I know they do circle time with songs, learn their shapes and letters, and they have story time and outdoor play, weather permitting. All in all it does sound pretty awesome.
Then I think back to the bottles we just packed away last weekend, and the room that I have dropped her off in every day since the first day she started daycare. It’s all we’ve ever known. The room she learned to crawl and walk in, the room I used to come down to see her every day before she started her clingy phase, the same little room. Just like in life I guess everyone expands their world and moves on to new things, that’s how we learn and grow. I just thought we would maybe have a little more time with a snuggly baby, but like the moms told me, it went by way to fast. So with that, I will head to Emma’s new room to pick her up every day where she will make new memories and achieve new milestones. All of this just one door away, one door closer to growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!