Tuesday, November 12, 2013

17 Months


It has all gone by way too fast. Watching you grow has been the most wondrous and inspiring part of my life. I am in total shock and awe of all of your intricacies. You do things whole heartedly with a sense of humor and emotional strength that I wish I had. You are changing so rapidly that I barely can finish laughing at your goofiness before shedding tears at how fast my little baby has grown up. My cell phone’s storage isn’t particularly fond of me right now seeing as how I manage to keep it crammed full of pictures and videos. As I am with my own life, I am afraid of missing any moment of epic discovery or any mundane small thing that happens in yours. In the spirit of preservation, I want to make sure I am doing a good job of verbally waving together the pieces of your childhood. So here you are, at 17 months:

Talking up a storm:
As crazy as it sounds, you are already repeating what we say right after we say it. Trying to grasp how dog and doggie mean the same thing. It’s intense watching someone learn what will ultimately help them communicate their needs and desires.



Requests:
Which leads me to the first time you were able to tell me what you needed. You asked for your “cup” and boy were you thirsty! Your other favorite request? Crackers! Although it took me a while to figure out you weren’t saying quack quack (your name for a duck). You always ask to “cook” too. I am excited to see you have a passion for cooking and even more grateful that you don’t realize how terrible my cooking is yet, or that I will not be the best teacher when it comes to cooking. For now you have been content pouring water and stirring bread crumbs in your own special “Cooking station” aka the furthest point in the kitchen from the stove.
 
 


Favorite books:
What can I say, we read “Go Dog Go” at least three times a day (luckily I split the shifts with your father.) I can’t blame you though, a book about dogs, cars, and colors is pretty awesome and right now all three of those things are high up there on your little toddler radar. I love it! Your other favorite book is the ever simple, yet visually stunning “Colors” book. You love pointing at the objects and telling me what you see. I love hearing your voice confidently telling me that yes, that is indeed a banana.
 

Favorite character:
We have entered the age when you recognize various children’s characters. Mickey Mouse club house sits a top your tv show favorites and you said his name for the first time the other day. I know now we have a future obligation at a certain "happiest place on Earth." And of course, as soon as you see the fuzzy red guy, yes we’re talking Elmo, you point and yell with glee. The other day you were in your high chair and started yelling and pointing “ELMO!” It took a while for me to figure it out, but you were pointing at the tiny, microscopic Elmo on the side of the diaper box (must have your father’s eagle eye vision.)

Food:
Not much to say here, you love to throw it. I think fruit snacks and crackers are the only two things you don’t chuck into the nether regions of the universe. On the upside, the dogs are ALWAYS happy when it’s dinner time, yours more so than theirs.

Some Dislikes:
Riding in the car (unless there are crackers of course), getting run over by a stampede of dogs when you walk through the door (although they only attack you with the best of intentions), food in general, following directions during soccer, sharing, and ending any activity you are really into at the moment such as "cooking" or crafting.

 

Accessorizing:
For some reason you LOVE wearing hats and shoes. It feels like just a short time ago you would scream if a hat came near your head and now you can’t get enough of them. You go out of your way to put on hats and any shoes you see laying around. It’s the first glimmer of you expressing yourself and I think it’s like poetic grace.

 
Personality:
It is amazing to me how sharp your sense of humor is. You will purposely do something because you find it hilarious and you constantly ask us to do things that will make you laugh. My absolute favorite thing right now is your “funny voice.” I ask you to do it and you curl your upper lip and stick out your bottom jaw and make a noise that sounds like an old man trying to walk up a steep flight of stairs. It cracks me up every time!




These are just a few tid bits of who you are right now. Every day there are changes, some substantial and others subtle but I know they are happening because it's getting harder and harder for me to see the little baby I brought home. But pretty much to sum it up, I'm honored to get to raise and hang out with such an awesome girl.

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!